Ir al contenido principal

2. WHY DID I CHOOSE MY MAJOR?

Welcome dear bloggers! This is your second blogging assignment. This time, you will have to tell us what you study and explain why you decided to embark on the course you are currently studying for. You should then consider including this information:


  • What was your dream job when you were a child?
  • What other study options did you have at the moment of applying to university?
  • What made you decide on this major in the end?
  • How has your experience at university been until now?
  • Upload pictures

Remember:
Your text should have no less than 130 words.
Leave a comment on three of your classmates' posts and on your teacher's post as well.


It happened to be at a very early age that I wanted to do so many things. I thought I had the potential and freedom to do whatever I wanted to. I wanted to become an actress, a fashion designer, a spaceship pilot, an architect, a painter, a singer, a president, etc. As you can see, everything was very well connected. XD

As I started focusing on choosing one career path, I envisaged working in something related to languages. So, I applied to three different university programmes at the University of Concepción: Translation, Teaching of English and Social Work. Believe it or not, I was accepted in the translation programme. My first year in the English and French translation programme, however, was awful. I failed. Obviously the only one thing I learnt at school was 'open the door', 'what is this?' With some minor variations such as 'what is this? This is a pen', or 'comment allez-vous? Comme ci comme ça'. But I was determined to overcome my flaws and make it through. So, guess what. I made it and got my BA in English, French and Spanish Translation.

Now I have over eight years of experience working as a teacher of English, though I am still strictly speaking, a translator. Luckily, I am finishing my TESOL certification to become a more highly qualified teacher - I hope.

In the mid-term future, I would love to continue my studies (A Master's Degree would be great) and do some work on translation abroad. That would be just perfect!

A picture of my beloved Faculty of Humanities and Art
A picture of my beloved Faculty of Humanities and Art at the University of Concepcion

Humanities and Art main hall

Comentarios

  1. Hi teacher, is really fun because i wanted to be and astronaut too, but when i grew up I realized that that job is only for people with a lot of money and was born in America.XOXO

    ResponderEliminar
  2. When I was a child I also wanted to be a painter. I love the art and the history of art. Who is your favourite painter? I like so much Leonora Carrington, a surrealist artist. ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ♡

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I like Vincent Van Gogh very much and some dada artists such as Salvador Dalí :D

      Eliminar
  3. Hi! I think everyone wanted to be so many things when we were kids.
    It´s very hard the first year at university, but with enough coffe and good friends, everything is possible

    ResponderEliminar
  4. your whole experience sounds great, it went around a lot XD, I hope it's okay

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Hi miss! How are you? your post is very interesting. We both have similarities in the study preferences ,I was also interested in being a teacher or a social worker, they are beautiful professions.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hi, in my chilhood i liked astronomy topics, but i would not have liked to be an astronaunt.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Hi teacher! your experience is very interesting. I have never been good at languages and your story gives me hope that I will be able to learn.

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Wow! that little Gloria was so curious and enthusiastic child. What are your hobbies Miss? It´s relationated to childhood interest?

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Hi! teacher I am very happy that after many ideas, you found the career that makes you feel fulfilled. I really admire that you never gave up! 💌

    ResponderEliminar
  10. Hi teacher!!
    I totally identify with what you say at the beginning, because when I was little I also wanted to have a lot of careers, it was fun until I had to choose a real one :((

    ResponderEliminar
  11. Hi teacher, unfortunately at school, the same thing happened to me as you, my english is so bad. The listening is the worst to me.

    ResponderEliminar
  12. Hi teacher!!
    I know how complicated and stressful a course at university can become.
    when one studies so much for a test but the result is not the best.
    but I also know how rewarding it is when one finally approves the bouquet or learns what cost him so much before.
    so I felt very identified when I talk about his first year at the university.

    ResponderEliminar
  13. Hi! It's really interesting for me to read how things can change. What was it that most attracted or motivated you to study Social Work? It's very different from the other two options.

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

5. CHOICE OF TWO TOPICS (CHOOSE ONE OF THE TWO)

He llo, bloggers! Welcome to your fifth  and last  blogging assignment of the semester! This time, you will be able to choose between the following two topics to write your own blog posts: Topic A:  Tell us about a career-oriented website you enjoy visiting. Include this information: Describe the website and provide the link. How often do you visit it? Explain why you like the site. Who would you recommend it to? Upload pictures Topic B:  Tell us about an expert/person in your field that you admire. Include this information: Why do you admire this person? What has this person done/contributed? Provide a short biography of this person Upload pictures Make comments on 3 of your classmates’ posts + a comment on mine too. Word Count: 150 words   TOPIC B Most people fail to learn a language before they even begin. Want to know why? Because they haven't gone on a journey with Dr. Shane Dixon. Dr. Dixon is a beloved language instructor and the primary designer of the Arizona State Univers

1. WHO AM I?

  Welcome everyone to your first blogging assignment. As you might have noticed in the title of this post, you'll have to write a short autobiography. In order to accomplish this task, you'll have to introduce yourself to the class and include this information in your own creation: Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself Tell us a little about your family, and hometown Upload  pictures you would like to describe in connection with your life story Don't forget that:  Your text should have no less than  120  words Leave a comment on  three  of your classmates' posts + another one on mine too. I was born in Talcahuano, Chile, on July 15, 1987. I have one sister only. Her name is Daniela, she's younger than me and is a teacher of biology. She's not married and has one daughter.  I'm the oldest sister but also the oldest cousin, so I grew up believing that I was a “protector of the realm”, at times. I think I come from a typical middle-cl